Friday, January 15, 2010

Interlude: Journey with Jesus...Turning the Other Cheek

No one likes conflict. Thankfully, I don't have any conflict with others (that I know of) in my life right now. However, I was counseling a friend recently and I wanted to share something I've learned as I've been studying the book of Matthew. I will get back to the section by section stuff in a day or so--but here is a short thought about handling conflict and turning the other cheek.

Even if you are "in the right" in a conflict, even if the other person is clearly wrong, even if you are being misunderstood and ganged up on...we still need to be Christ-like. Think about the passage in Matthew when Jesus talks about "turning the other cheek". At times (depending on the person hitting me), I am terrible at turning the other cheek.

As humans we have two instincts when we are attacked--to fight/defend ourselves or to flee/run away (i.e., "I'm done with this"). When Jesus said to "turn the other cheek" he was telling us to do neither. He was saying, "don't fight back...don't lower yourself", and "don't flee....don't take your ball and go home". Didn't he show us this example when he was put on trial and ultimately condemned to death? He didn't fight back, he didn't even defend himself, and he didn't run away or cop an attitude. Wow. When he said to "turn the other cheek" he was saying to do the hard thing--to stand there, take it, and turn the other cheek. Not as a doormat...but in courage and resolution. It is as though Jesus was telling us to ask the person assaulting you, "is that the best you've got?" Then point to the other side of your chin and take it again courageously. Standing firm. Not fighting back and not fleeing--but turning the other cheek. I definitely need to practice what I preach on this one. The funny thing is, the person who turns the other cheek usually comes out of it less beaten up than the person doing the punching. That is the high road, that is the narrow gate.

3 comments:

Kevin McCoy said...

Tim Keller mentioned in a sermon that "turning the other cheek" was a sign of friendship in that culture, not merely accepting more punishment. Definitely puts a different spin and is much closer to loving your enemies.

Anonymous said...

hmm yeah def. needed to hear that cause i def. have drama in my life.

Anonymous said...

Plus Chuck i really liked ur take on Immanuel and Isaiah passage never studied it that much awesome insights yet really convicting