Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Three Responses to the Law of God

In I Peter 4: 11 we are met with the full extent of the Law pertaining to our words with friends when Peter said, "if anyone speaks they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God."  This was not hyperbole or exaggeration...it is the requirement of the Law...to only speak God's words. Peter leaves none of us standing as no one, including Peter, can meet these requirements. Therefore, we are left with three options: 

1. Licentiousness...delighting in me as I ignore the Law and say whatever I want to say whenever I want to say it. 
2. Legalism...delighting in me as I make up my own version of the Law, taking things out, adding things in, and judging others according to my warped version of the Law. 
3. Liberty...delighting in God and running to Jesus. Seeing Jesus as my substitute...that the words he spoke were credited to me as if I spoke them myself. 

It is only the third option that will produce loving, kind, gentle, and gracious words with friends. 

No comments: